Belmont 16s Club History
From its humble beginnings Belmont 16 Foot Sailing Club has grown to its present status ... one of the biggest and best licensed clubs in the Hunter, the top 16ft Sailing Club in NSW and Australia.
The Club was formed as a breakaway from the Toronto 16 Foot Sailing Club in 1920 with the first shed built in 1922 over the water opposite Sharpe Street Belmont, which remained until 1952.
Work on the current Club site began in 1952 with the reclaiming of land on Mill Creek with over 1000 tons of slag, sand, cement and ash used by volunteers who worked in mud and slush up to their waists to complete the job. Over the years the one room Clubhouse grew and the Club continued with the Club purchasing properties to the east of Mill Creek for future development.
During the 1970's a master plan was developed and work began in 1976 on the existing auditorium, kitchen and function rooms with boat storage on the ground floor. The most significant expansion occurred during 1991 when the Club expanded out over Lake Macquarie including Sails Eatery, the Lakeview Lounge and the external decks.
To continue with the Club's growth in the Lake Macquarie area, in May 2003 Belmont 16 Foot Sailing Club amalgamated with Swansea Bowling Club.
Belmont 16s has continued to expand and refurbish to achieve the contemporary and comfortable facilities expected by both our members and the community. The future will see more Clubhouse improvements as a manifestation of the constant updating, renewal and self rejuvenation of Belmont 16 Foot Sailing Club.
Join 16s eClub
Join our e-newsletter to receive all the latest Belmont 16 Footers news, upcoming events, member specials and more!